Friday, December 24, 2010

Article by BDNews24


SQ claims torture in custody


Thu, Dec 16th, 2010 9:49 pm BdST
  
Dhaka, Dec 16 (bdnews24.com) — Salahuddin Quader Chowdhury has complained to the court that he was tortured by RAB and DGFI men.

At a hearing on Tuesday at the Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Court judge Mohammad Najrul Islam gave him permission to speak for two minutes.

Salahuddin was shown arrested in a case filed over arson of a private car near Maghbazar rail crossing on June 26.

The parliamentarian complained that he was severely beat up by members of the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) and Directorate General of Forces Intelligence (DGFI).

"My nose was bleeding. Look at my face," he said to the judge, "They also hit my feet really hard. There's still blood on my shoes."

He alleged that his bloody shirt was removed.

Salahuddin said the torture was an insult to the parliament.

"I have been elected to the parliament six times. I've never lost an election."

"If Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman were alive he would not let such a thing pass. My physical persecution was an insult to the honourable prime minister. I wear a ring in my heart."

Salahuddin said he was at Chittagong during the car arson incident in Maghbazar.

"It was said in the charges that I make provocative speeches. I will stay in the remand for 10 years if you find one provocative word in my speech."

The remand petition by Dhaka Metropolitan Detective Police inspector Fazlur Rahman said that on June 26, the day before BNP-called a countrywide shutdown, a private car was set ablaze and two people had been injured. One of the critically injured, Faruk Hossain, died while undergoing treatment.

The petition added that Salahuddin instigated party leaders and activists to go on a 'killing spree' during that hartal and even offered rewards.

The prosecutors had said police needed to question Salahuddin to glean more information and evidence linked to the incident of arson leading to the death.

The petition also presented a list of cases filed against Salahuddin with 11 police stations across the country, 35 cases under income tax ordinance and general diaries.

At around 4.30am Tuesday, the senior opposition leader was arrested from a house in Banani, Dhaka.

bdnews24.com/pb/mi/sh/2108h